A Site History Project for The Texas A&M University System's RELLIS Campus

Parsons Mounted Cavalry

Military training for members of the A&M College of Texas Cadets included mounted drill instruction until 1943, when the U.S. Army disbanded its horse operations.

But the Cavalry tradition was revived at A&M three decades later and its home was, for a short while, at the Texas A&M Research Annex.

Bob Byrns was a member of the Corps of Cadets then and manages the Parsons Mounted Cavalry today.

 

Bob Byrns is the Manager/Advisor for Parsons Mounted Cavalry. PMC is a Ceremonial Unit of the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M University. The Cavalry has 120 Cadets, 71 cavalry horses, a 1902 horse-drawn field gun, and a mule-drawn escort wagon. PMC’s horses have been barefoot for the last 9 years and make over 35 public appearances each year. The horses are trained and ridden using natural horsemanship. Mr. Byrns is a level 4 CHA instructor in Western, English, and Jumping equitation and a 1974 graduate of Texas A&M.